I was using Internet Explorer 11.0, with LastPass as a password manager. Usually it would work OK, but sometimes, upon starting IE, I would get an error message: “Broker_GetAccounts failed A.” At these times, my passwords (for e.g., Hotmail) would not load automatically. This post describes briefly how I fixed that problem.
Acting on a tip, I went into the %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\LastPass\ folder. On my machine, running Windows 7 x64, that folder was located at C:\Users\Ray\AppData\LocalLow\LastPass. People had run into this problem because their firewalls were blocking LastPass, but that did not seem to be my situation. The ones who had pointed me toward this folder said that they deleted all contents of that folder, and then LastPass functioned normally.
I thought perhaps I could advance the state of knowledge by deleting files in that folder sequentially rather than all at once. So I started by closing IE and deleting, from that folder, all files beginning with a number. That did not solve the problem. When I restarted IE, the “Broker_GetAccounts” error message recurred.
I tried again. This time, from that folder, I deleted all .js files. That, too, failed to fix it. Then I tried *.css files, then .html files, each time closing IE before the deletion. Each time, when IE restarted, the error recurred; each time, however, the LastPass toolbar icon was still red, and was still responding to clicks. Next, I tried deleting all subfolders; same thing.
Finally, growing a bit short on patience, I deleted all remaining non-exe files. That was the trick. After that deletion, the folder contained only LastPassBroker.exe and wlandecrypt.exe. Starting IE with just those two files was sufficient (a) to repopulate the folder with a number of files and (b) to cause IE to load normally, with LastPass filling in the passwords automatically on various webpages.
I was not sure which of the remaining files were responsible for the problem. In that last deletion, I had eliminated a number of image (i.e., JPG and PNG) files, text (i.e., TXT) files, and others. I did notice, though, that when I restarted IE successfully, it repopulated the folder with a number of files. The files in the folder at that point were as follows:
- A half-dozen long filenames beginning with a number
One of these, I suspected, was the culprit. I would have to return to this post at a future point, the next time the problem recurred, to narrow it down more precisely.
Comments are welcome.